Victoria Street, Edinburgh

Bon Appetit in Edinburgh

Back in China, we have various types of cooking styles and different seasonings. Many people have joked that the best food in the UK is the food from other countries. Although this is untrue, there are many nice restaurants in Edinburgh that serve authentic food from countries like Mexico, India and Italy. After spending more than a month in Edinburgh, I have discovered several ways to satisfy your appetite perfectly.

Ting Thai Caravan

Close to McEwan Hall, Ting Thai Caravan is a popular restaurant not only among students in Edinburgh, but also local Scottish people. After receiving many recommendations from friends, I decided to give it a try. Arriving at Ting Thai at 6pm, to my surprise, I was told that I would need to wait for ten minutes for a table. However, I also felt relieved that it was indeed a popular place. When I finally walked into Ting Thai, I was surprised to find that the restaurant was smaller than I expected. Not very familiar with Thai food I didn’t want to try anything too adventurous, so I ordered the green curry. It turned out to be great and as good as what I had tasted in Singapore. Next time, I definitely will try something more adventurous.

Greggs

As the largest bakery chain in the United Kingdom, Gregg’s specialises in savory products such as bakes, sausage rolls, sandwiches and sweet items including doughnuts and vanilla slices. There are many Gregg’s around Edinburgh, so if you need to wake up early in the morning, buying a cup of coffee or tea from Gregg’s is a quick and easy way to refresh yourself. Also, if you are in a hurry or just want to grab a quick lunch, Gregg’s is always there to help you out. To stay healthy, I try hard to avoid having too many sweets and snacks. But sometimes when I am desperate for a treat, I will go to Gregg’s and buy myself a doughnut and that is what a good day is about.

TESCO

Tesco is the third-largest retailer in the world in terms of gross revenues, and the ninth-largest retailer in the world in terms of revenues. As one of the leading grocery stores in the UK, you can easily find Tesco stores in and around the central campus. You can find almost anything you want to eat in Tesco. With such a large variety of vegetables, snacks, beverages, yogurts, seasonings and ice cream, it can be difficult to restrain yourself from buying too much. I often go to Tesco for some groceries on my way home and it has become a challenge to choose just one item that suits my taste each time. Tesco is part of my life now!

Comments

comments

Published by

Xiang Hui

Xiang Hui is a student on the MSc International Business and Emerging Markets programme and is China’s National Scholarship winner. As an explorer, Xiang is always ready to meet new challenges, is a big fan of history and hiking and is also interested in painting.